We love hot summer days with fried calamari and marinara sauce but why not freshen it up a bit? One of our new favorites this summer is a rendition of the traditional calamari! Here at Très LA, we have taken to doing baby octopus, marinating and grilling it and wait… yes topping it with saffron tomato purée!
It’s DELICIOUS and so simple to make! It’s perfect for summer barbecues, nights with family and friends. So try it out tonight and enjoy this delectable experience.
Heres the recipe we use:
- 1 lb baby octopus, skinned and poached
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 cup cream
- 1 Roma tomato
- Octopus marinade:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 bunch parsley, rough chopped
- Clean the octopus, and poach it till tender in salted water then place in ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Place the cleaned octopus in a ziploc bag with all of the marinade ingredients, push out excess air and let sit in marinade for mins-1 hour.
- Bring cream up to a simmer over medium heat and then add saffron and turn off the flame.
- Once the saffron has steeped for about 20 mins and the cream has returned to room temperature, purée your tomato in pieces, in a blender and slowly drizzle in cream until incorporated.
- Strain the sauce and set aside.
- Remove the octopus from the bag, cut in half and then add salt and pepper and place on grill.
- Once octopus is cooked, place on a plate and top with sauce! This works over greens as well!
Posted on 09/29/2014 at 12:29:13 PM